PUC rule chapters 6-61, 6-63, 6-65, and 6-68 moving from title 6 to title 16
Act 108, Session Laws of Hawaii 2014 (Act 108), transferred the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) from Department of Budget and Finance (B&F) to Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA). The numbering system for the Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) uses different numbers for different departments. The B&F rules are in Title 6, and the DCCA rules are in Title 16.
Therefore, in accordance with Act 108, four chapters of the HAR are being moved, substantially as-is, from B&F (Title 6) to DCCA (Title 16). To change the numbers requires the simultaneous repeal of the existing chapters (in the B&F title) and adoption of new chapters (in the DCCA title). The existing and new chapters are provided below:
- Repeal: Chapter 6-61, Rules of Practice and Procedure before the Public Utilities Commission
- Adopt: Chapter 16-601, Rules of Practice and Procedure before the Public Utilities Commission
- Repeal: Chapter 6-63, Motor Carrier Tariffs and Schedules
- Adopt: Chapter 16-603, Motor Carrier Tariffs and Schedules
- Repeal: Chapter 6-65, Water Carriers
- Adopt: Chapter 16-605, Water Carriers
- Repeal: Chapter 6-68, Investigation and Enforcement of Laws Governing Public Utilities, Motor Carriers, and Water Carriers
- Adopt: Chapter 16-608, Investigation and Enforcement of Laws Governing Public Utilities, Motor Carriers, and Water Carriers
Beginning in August, 2017, public hearings will be held to receive testimony related to the simultaneous repeal of four (4) and adoption of four (4) chapters of the Hawaii Administrative Rules, described above.
The proposed rule chapters may be downloaded from the links above or reviewed in person at the Public Utilities Commission’s Honolulu office, 465 S. King Street, Room 103, during business hours. An electronic copy of each proposed chapter will be e-mailed at no charge upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org. A paper copy of each chapter can also be mailed to any interested person, provided they pay the cost per chapter (ten cents per page, plus postage) in advance. Requests for paper copies may be made in writing, via electronic mail at email@example.com, or in person at the Public Utilities Commission.
Written testimony on this matter may be mailed to: Public Utilities Commission, 465 S. King Street, Room 103, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813, or sent by electronic mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Written statements should reference: “Testimony on PUC rule chapters 6-61, 6-63, 6-65, and 6-68 moving from title 6 to title 16” and include the author’s name and the entity or organization that the author represents, if any. Written and e-mailed testimony will be accepted for ten days after the hearing.
Since there are several more steps in the process after the hearings, the effective date of the repeal and adoption will not be for at least a couple of months after the hearings.