Goals and Objectives of the Commission
The Commission’s mission is to provide effective, proactive, and informed oversight of all regulated entities to ensure that they operate at a high level of performance so as to serve the public fairly, efficiently, safely, and reliably, while addressing the goals and future needs of the State in the most economically, operationally, and environmentally sound manner, and affording the opportunity for regulated entities to achieve and maintain commercial viability.
- Increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the regulatory process;
- Foster greater understanding of the regulatory process by the public;
- Inspire confidence in the regulatory process;
- Require regulated entities to continually achieve outstanding performance;
- Create a regulatory environment that contributes to the economic and clean energy goals of the State;
- Stimulate and encourage competition where appropriate and feasible; and
- Cultivate high morale and performance among Commission employees.
- Review and propose updates to regulatory laws and rules to address the future needs of the public, the utility industries, and the State;
- Develop processes for educating and informing the public about the regulatory process and Commission decisions;
- Provide meaningful guidance to regulated utilities with respect to expected levels of performance;
- Identify areas where competition may achieve results that are superior to regulation and foster competition in those areas;
- Provide regular and relevant training opportunities for staff to improve knowledge and skills;
- Take appropriate actions to insure adequate funding levels to perform all Commission functions;
- Actively monitor pending legislation at the State and Federal levels to determine potential impacts on Commission duties and responsibilities; and
- Develop a knowledge base of industry, economic, and policy trends to allow better anticipation of regulatory impacts.
- Review and revise, where necessary, organization and position descriptions to ensure clarity of responsibilities and duties;
- Fill remaining vacancies with individuals having the requisite skills, knowledge, and attributes;
- Provide basic training in the regulatory field to all professional staff within the first six months of employment;
- Review and modify, as necessary, internal communication, information and document flow to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and appropriate dispersal among personnel;
- Review and modify, as necessary, work processes to improve efficiency, accuracy, and timeliness; and
- Review IT requirements to facilitate timely and accurate dissemination of information.