Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals and Objectives
The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission staff put forth significant effort to develop a new strategic plan that looks to the future, focuses our work to fulfill our mission, and articulates concrete actions to move the Commission toward its strategic goals. The staff went through a robust and comprehensive strategic planning process, which included conducting key stakeholder interviews in December 2019 and January 2020, a two-day, first-ever all staff strategic planning retreat in January 2020, and an Action Planning Session in March 2020.
The Hawaii PUC is pleased to share our new vision and mission statements, core values, and strategic goals and objectives.
The PUC delivers transparent, accessible, and timely regulatory oversight, while working collaboratively with customers, stakeholders, and the general public.
To serve the public, by ensuring essential utility services are delivered to consumers in a safe, reliable, economical, and environmentally sound manner.
HOW THE PUC FULFILLS ITS MISSION
This mission is achieved through responsible and informed oversight of public utilities and a focus on economic, operational, environmental, and societal concerns associated with balanced regulation and future impacts of present-day decisions.
Service • Professional Excellence • Transparency & Accountability • Collaboration & Teamwork
2020-2022 PUC STRATEGIC PLAN
The Public Utilities Commission’s Strategic Plan focuses on two main priority goals: establishing well-documented, modernized policies and procedures; and creating a work environment that fosters organizational success. With modernized policies and procedures, a new and improved Case and Document Management System, and enhanced work environment to support staffing resources, the Commission will be in a better position to help the State achieve its Clean Energy goal, as well as support our businesses and communities.
By 2023, the PUC will have established well-documented, modernized policies and procedures.
- Objective 1: Document current state of the Docket Management System processes and identify immediate and interim improvements and critical policies.
- Objective 2: Document the current state of non-docketed processes and identify immediate and interim improvements and critical policies.
- Objective 3: Upgrade PUC-wide IT to provide a streamlined, user-friendly Docket Management System, including initially selected processes.
By 2022, the PUC will create a work environment that fosters organizational success.
- Objective 1: Ensure the PUC’s Human Resources’ practices build on and or meet industry best practices (e.g. Society for Human Resources Management).
- Objective 2: Identify and secure professional development opportunities that ensure all PUC staff develop and maintain their expert knowledge in a rapidly changing industry.
- Objective 3: Optimize communications to ensure staff are well-informed and productive in achieving the PUC’s mission, and strategic goals, in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Objective 4: Develop standardized and section-specific training for all new employees to ensure a holistic on-boarding process.
- Objective 5: Design an employee retention program that recognizes outstanding work performance and staff contributions to the organization.