Microgrid Services Tariff
(Docket No. 2018-0163)
Background | Upcoming Events | Past Events | Working Group Reports | Key Orders | More Information
A microgrid is a small-scale, local energy grid with control capability, which means it can disconnect from the traditional grid and operate autonomously. Microgrids facilitate the state’s achievement of its clean energy goals by allowing the integration of higher levels of renewable energy and distributed energy resources while improving customer electric reliability and resilience.
In July 2018, the Commission opened Docket No. 2018-0163 to investigate the establishment of a Microgrid Services Tariff for Hawaiian Electric pursuant to Act 200 Session Laws Hawaii 2018.
On May 21, 2021, the Commission approved Hawaiian Electric’s Microgrid Services Tariffs and concluded Phase 1 of the Docket. In Phase 2 of the proceeding, the Commission’s objective is to promote self-sufficiency and resilience among microgrid project operators and further streamline the Microgrid Services Tariffs. The docket’s Working Group continues to convene and provide updates and reports to the Commission.
|Date and Live Link (if available)||Description||Notice and Agenda|
|Date||Description||Notice, Agenda, and Materials|
|October 27, 2022||Status Conference to discuss the progress of the Working Group in Phase 2.|
|July 28, 2022||Status Conference to discuss the progress of the Working Group in Phase 2.|
|May 5, 2022||Status Conference to discuss the progress of the Working Group in Phase 2.|
|January 28, 2022||Technical Conference to discuss priority topics to address in Phase 2.|
|November 30, 2020||Technical Conference to discuss the Phase 1 draft Tariffs and other documents filed on March 30, 2020.|
|February 27, 2020||Technical Conference to discuss the Working Groups’ Phase 1 Report filled on February 14, 2020.|
|January 9, 2020||Status Conference to discuss the progress of the Working Group in Phase 1.|
|November 14, 2019||Status Conference to discuss the progress of the Working Group in Phase 1.|
|September 19, 2019||Technical Conference to review the process for the remainder of Phase 1.|
|January 9, 2019||Technical Conference to initiate the investigation for the Microgrid Services Tariff.|
Working Group Reports
The Working Groups submitted numerous reports in Phase 1 and are expected to submit several reports in Phase 2.
- February 14, 2020: Phase 1 – Working Group Report
- February 1, 2021: Phase 1 – Working Group Areas of Consensus
- February 10, 2021:
- February 17, 2021:
- April 1, 2022: Order No. 38293 – Prioritizing issues for resolution in Phase 2 of this docket and establishing a Phase 2 procedural schedule
- May 17, 2021: Order No. 37786 – Decision and Order
- August 20, 2019: Order No. 36481 – Prioritizing items for resolution in this docket and making determinations on issues raised by the preliminary questions in Order No. 35884
- January 22, 2019: Order No. 36106 – Providing additional guidance for opening briefs and extending deadline for reply briefs
- November 21, 2018: Order No. 35884 – Granting motions to intervene, scheduling technical conference, and setting deadlines for opening briefs and reply briefs
- July 10, 2018: Order No. 35566 – Opening the docket
- Docket Link: Docket No. 2018-0163
- Hawaiian Electric’s Microgrid Services Tariffs in Book 1
and Book 2, transmitted May 27, 2021.
For more information on the Microgrid Services Tariffs, additional Working Group materials, and information on how to apply visit Hawaiian Electric’s Microgrid Services Tariff webpage.